Eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea are chronic skin conditions that share inflammation as a root cause. Inflammation is a term we use to describe the immune system when it gets exposed to a trigger and activates by sending white blood cells to an injured or infected area of the body. In cases of acute inflammation, such as a cut on the arm, the immune system is active just long enough to fight off a potential infection and heal the injury. When it comes to chronic inflammation, however, the immune system remains active long after the triggering event has resolved. Confused white blood cells remain in the area, sending out distress signals to other cells of the body that promote more inflammation. Chronic inflammation in the skin commonly manifests as conditions like eczema and psoriasis, which can be debilitating to live with.
The conventional and naturopathic treatment approach to inflammatory skin conditions differs significantly. Conventional medicine often relies upon oral and topical immune suppressing drugs. The naturopathic approach uses lifestyle interventions and supplementation, rather than pharmaceuticals, to address the root cause of psoriasis and eczema. Using pharmaceutical treatments alone might work for some people, but it is common for these types of interventions to only work temporarily or fail to achieve complete resolution of the disease. Discovering the root cause, or trigger, for an inflammatory skin condition and removing it can be the missing piece of the puzzle that sufferers are seeking.
At ANW, our approach to psoriasis, eczema, and rosacea always includes the following:
1. Remove triggers of inflammation: This includes removing inflammatory foods from the diet, such as gluten, dairy, and sugar, minimizing exposure to environmental triggers, and reducing stress.
2. Quench the inflammatory immune response using clinically proven nutrients and herbs like EPA & DHA (found in fish and flaxseed oil), curcumin, and vitamin D
3. Support digestive health using probiotics and digestive enzymes
4. Optimize liver health and other organs of elimination to encourage the release of toxins stored in fatty tissue that may contribute to the release of inflammatory chemical messengers
5. Replete nutrients that are essential to skin health, such as vitamins A, C, E, D, and zinc
For all chronic conditions, especially those rooted in inflammation, our number one priority is educating our clients and giving them the tools they need to reclaim wellness.
If you feel the naturopathic approach to eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea is a good fit for you, please make an appointment by calling 847-744-8484, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or click this link to make an appointment online.
Yours in health,